Napoleon's residences in Elba

The French Emperor was exiled to the Island of Elba for about 10 months, from May 3rd 1814 to February 26th 1815, where he had two residences:

The Villa dei Mulini: up high in the old parto of Portoferraio, on the cliffs above Le Viste beach ,about half way between Forte Falcone and Forte Stella. The name comes the fact that before his arrival, there used to be several wind mills there.

On the other hand, Napoleon had the Villa of San Martino built because he wanted what was then an already existing country house made bigger; it is in the outskirts of Portoferraio. The actual villa is small and very plain and simple, nothing like the Napoleonic Museum that Prince Demidoff had built some ten or twenty years later.