|Hamlets||Reale, Terranera, Barbarossa, Monserrato, Mola, Gelsarello, Botro, Puntecchio, Buraccio|
|Area||13 square kilometres|
|Height||2 metres a.s.l.|
The town looks lively and welcoming, and is very clearly of Spanish origin. Situated at the foot of a promontory in the wide inlet of the eastern coast of the island, it was founded in 1603 by Philip lll of Spain who gave it the name of Porto Longone.
Forte Focardo and Forte San Giacomo were both part of the defence system studied by Don Garcia from Toledo, based on that of the city of Anversa, in an attempt to protect the island from the continuous Saracen pirate attacks.
The small Madonna di Monserrato Sanctuary is also well worth a visit. It was built in 1606 by the Spanish governor Pons Y Le˛n in the quiet valley bearing the same name, in honour of the famous sanctuary near Barcelona.